Saturday, August 22, 2009

Tori.

This would be a bona fide dedication to who I know to be one of the greatest artists ever. Tori Amos.

I started following her music at the age of 9, and remain just as awed by it 11 years later. That says a lot considering my long-standing inclination towards the "flavor-of-the-month" approach. (Which, allow me to add, extends well beyond music.)

She plays the piano, writes about religion, sexuality, and all that jazz in between. And sings like she's sending a message across. Only, it takes a hell lot to decipher it. Therein, my friend, lies the beauty of it. This particular video you see here was the very first number I heard by her. And it took me ages to understand what it signified. That's what it is, every song of hers. A cryptic puzzle. With hidden references and visual symbology on such fascinating levels, it blows me away.


And to demonstrate :
  • The song is about miscarriage, and the ensuing denial and loss of faith. Part of which explains the reference to nicotine patches.
  • "Spark" is a reference to the unborn baby, which could not be kept alive. Hence the "6:58, are you sure where my spark is?".
  • "If the divine master plan is perfection, maybe next I'll give Judas a try." Self explanatory, isn't it?
  • "Ice-cream assassin"= God.
  • The man following her is to signify that which we run away from all our lives, towards the path to safety promised by faith.
  • The twins that abandon her in the end represent the double-edged sword that faith is.
To think that she manages to do this every single time, is just astounding.

Happy Birthday, Tori. You make art.

4 comments:

Param Saraf said...

Wat does her transparent dress and Skeeter on tree specify?....Its beautiful specially.. the lady....

Rene Lacoste said...

Mad World-Gary Jules, since we are in that mode.

Lemon Girl said...

The woman who taught me sit up straight and take notice of the truths encircling me. <3

Sherry Wasandi said...

That makes two of us.